Thursday, August 22, 2013

Surviving the Burn

I have a beautiful friend who is always reminding me that we have to do hard things.

About two miles into my long run this morning, those words resonated through my brain, as I realized the heat just might be the obstacle to face down today, not just the 17 miles.

When God called the Warrior Daddy and I to adopt, we knew we were facing hard things.  How would we really afford the cost?  Would our precious birth mom really sign the paperwork, hand over her cherished little one?  Would our friends and family truly accept her?  Would her birth family accept us?  What if she presented mental challenges, as her beautiful birth mom?

And so we put our palms together, bowed our faces down, raised our hands to the One in the lead, and trusted.  The roller coaster we rode seemed intense at times, but, in retrospect, turned out to be one of the greatest faith rides we've ridden so far.  Hard. Yes.  Worth it.  Absolutely.

And when He placed the dream of those magnificent twin girls in our hearts, we believed this time we were prepared.  Special needs challenges, sure.  Beautiful brown skin like their beautiful big sister, definitely.  These weren't obstacles, but gifts He freely gave to our growing family.  This run we had run before, and we were ready. 

Just like the 17 miles I faced this morning - hard, but doable.

So, when the attachment issues started to surface, sensory integration disorder began running our lives, heads started hitting the walls (along with other things), we realized we were participants in a much different race this time.  This race looked very similar, yet the extra heat intensified the challenge.

Like this morning, when the temperature rose much faster than my body could adjust, and the task ahead of me appeared daunting.

Sometimes we do have to do hard things to get to the prize. 

Sometimes we have to walk a little more than we run. 

Sometimes we have to ration the water, thirst a little (or a lot), in order to actually get across the finish line. 

Sometimes we have to text a Warrior Daddy for prayer, and then keep on moving forward. 

 
 
Sometimes the heat wins. 
 
But, I finished.  I survived to face the next long run, and by His grace have some time to recoup. 
 
 
And that is the strength of the adoptive momma.  The determination to keep running or walking forward, courageously believing He is ever present, breathing in deep the rest He provides, and facing the next dare straight in the face.
 
Because the race is hard, intimidating and hot.  But the prize, the prize is so worth the burn.  
 
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.  Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you.  You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart."  Jeremiah 29:11-13
 
"...forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."  Philippians 3:13b-14