Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Learning to Know You

This poem from a dear friend who can understand the look in my eyes, even when I don't speak.  God has connected our hearts through our journeys with our special needs and adopted blessings.  Thank you Grace for sharing your heart.
 
It is hard to understand you when
I never held you close to stare
into new baby eyes
that knew we belonged together
or smelled that sweet scent
that told me you were flesh of mine.
I could not see your first grin
and learn what made you laugh
or cry without the need of asking.
Nor can you know what my smiles or frowns mean
or understand why I like quiet in a walk
when you like noisy things.
So we try to find ways to fit
Groping for a right word
Grasping at looks and touch
that will say, "this is right."
"You are mine."
"I am yours."
Unexpected, those times arrive
only to melt like a light snow,
But something moves between us
Telling us we have a beginning,
Tentative sprouts that can flourish and grow us into
family.