Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Jungle

You and I, we are tangled messes.  Just like that flower bed out front.  Time slipped by silently, and we didn't notice those sneaky bindweeds as they began to twine, slowly weighing down the pretty.


I'm almost sure we saw hints of the trouble.  In fact, I think we even discussed a plan of attack, a few months back.  But, in the hustle and bustle, we just kept living our lives, clinging to our schedule, keeping up with the world. 

Maybe we hoped in denial the vines might vanish away. 

But, before we knew it, we found ourselves all bound up.


Those vines had squeezed all the hope right out of us.

And I'm afraid we're both going to have to cry out for help. 

Because, I just can't reach you through my ropes. 

And, you just can't see me through your binds.

And the baggage we both carry is destined to crush us with the first tickle of white frost.



The light breeze is blowing winter our way.

The leaves are floating off the maple, blanketing the green.  Some are even catching the wind right over to our bed, threatening to further bury the mess we are.

I am beginning to understand Jesus' precious words to Martha in her deep sorrow of loss. (John 11:17-27).  Sometimes death is the only answer to discover true life.

What dreams am I willing to let die? 

What past trauma are you willing to surrender?

What blame are we both willing to forgive? (John 11:21; John 11:32)

"For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways," says the LORD.
"For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways,
And My thoughts than your thoughts."
Isaiah 55:8-9

Are we both willing to lay down our fight, let our faith become our arms reaching high in submission to the only One who can really give life?

In total surrender and unwavering belief, we just might regain our hope.


Because right among us, even in the last chilly days of October, the yellow poppies are still blooming in this jungle.



He is near to us.