Tuesday, October 8, 2013

His Gift

I woke up this morning to a symphony of coughs.  Unfortunately, mine was the featured instrument.  The morning progressed, and my energy waned, as the kids and I stumbled through language arts.

Emptying the dishwasher, I glance at the purple 365 Bible Promises for WOMEN.  October 8 reads:

"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble...for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you.  He will not fail you or forsake you."
 
Deuteronomy 31:6 NASB
 
Some days it is so hard to be strong. 
 
I give the girls a pass on centers.  I watch as they jump with glee when told they can just play.  I feel a bit defeated.  So many of my hours go into their beloved centers - structured games and activities incorporating occupational and speech therapies, social skills, brain gym activities.
 
And they want to just play.  
 
I want to just sit. 
 
Oh, my mind wants to keep my body moving.  There is always so much to do, not a moment to spare, as my days tumble together.  But in my loss of energy, I surrender, sit at the old farm table, watch the girls just play.
 
My mind travels to fear for a moment, wondering how on earth we will really get everything done if I change the plan.  I capture my thought, remember He is the one who goes with me.  He knew of this moment before, He knows how this moment will impact my future.  He will not fail me. 
 
I can choose to accept His Word as Truth.
 
I turn my head, look out the window, behold His touch transforming the ash leaves from green to gold.  When did this happen?  I'm sure all the leaves were green yesterday.
 
 
I focus attention back on my girls, now playing a game of dominoes together on the green rug.  And they are laughing, reminding each other of the rules, graciously helping each other out.  When did this happen?  The kindness, the sharing, the understanding of the game?
 
  
The sun shifts, shines brightly through the window on my face.  I feel His warmth, His embrace of me.  I'm convinced He has to stop me sometimes, lay me out sick, so I will be still enough to notice.
 
He has never forsaken me. 
 
I am coughing, and so,so thankful for His gift.