Sunday, July 27, 2014

Graceful Peace

I can smell the bermuda and still feel the moisture dripping from the crevices behind my knees, inside my elbows.  Memories of summer childhood tumbled through my mind as I stood mid-afternoon in that hot Oklahoma sun.  Remembering a grandma, while my insides and outsides seemed to melt.  Surrounded by others called family I really do not know. 


Joy held my hand tight in the small country chapel.  She pushed her fingers into my cheeks as the tears timidly steamed down.  My Joy does not believe in hiding emotion.  Her uninhibited innocence pointed out my hurt, comforted me with pokes.

My little brother stood tall in his fancy boots and shared Jesus boldly.  I observed his trembling lips as stories of memories flowed out in graceful peace. 

Graceful peace.  This is what I desire.  In the midst of all the shifting change of life.  Graceful peace.


I stood by the grave side for so long.  Each great grandchild took a flower from an arrangement, placed it on her casket.  And then each of my girls took another for herself.  Because flowers cheer a heart.  And well, all the adults were somber.

I think I felt Grandma Pete's smile warm my insides when little Joy handed me a large yellow rose.   She took my hand, led me to the casket, helped me surrender. 


And she is hard to surrender. 

She cut cantelope from the garden, filled the middle with cottage cheese, sprinkled the top with pepper.  And I ate it because she took the time to eat it with me.  

She cooked biscuits and gravy better than any Southern woman I ever knew. 

She taught me how to clean a kitchen just right. 

She stood on her front porch and yelled at the top of her lungs at my crazy ATV driving, and she forgave so easily when she knew I was pretending I couldn't hear her.

Her house had a smell that whispered a warm welcome, and was my very favorite place to spend a Christmas eve night.

She opened up her arms wide when I introduced her to little Joy, and then little Promise and Faith.  Yes, brown great-grandbabies were perfect and instantly family.

Graceful Peace.


Please forgive me for my silence lately.  I suppose no words at times is appropriate.  I am praying diligently for you all.  I am thankful for your fellowship and trust.  Please pray for me to have graceful peace.

We rejoice because she is with Jesus, and will rejoice even more loudly in her presence with Him again someday. 

He fills all our broken sorrows in His perfect timing.