Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Hope for a Tree

"For there is hope for a tree,
If it is cut down, that it will sprout again,
And that its tender shoots will not cease.
Though its root may grow old in the earth,
And its stump may die in the ground
Yet at the scent of water it will bud
And bring forth branches like a plant."
Job 14:7-9
 
We, you and I, we are like the tree.
 
We have both stood tall, arrayed in His glory.  At the touch of His finger, our true beauty broke through in magnificent shades of autumn golds, violets, rouge.

We have both experienced the surprising shock of the enemy's razor blade, slicing away at our very souls - abandoning us with bare, deep brokenness.

We know what it feels like to sit naked, without the wind break, bare to the bitter chill of the lashing. 

We have both pondered the question of "Why?" and journeyed our own pathway for the answer.
  
 
I sit here on this cold winter day trying to dodge the chasing memories of 8 foot sunflowers, early morning chats with my Savior under the shade of the ash, the monarch fluttering all about me. 

I long for the warm, the new life to spring. 

But, (dare I say?) if I didn't know the chill to the core of my shaking bones of the cold, dark, and longing, I would never cherish and chase for the Light with such desperation. 

I desperately want His Living Water to flow over me, sprout something new, tender, refreshing, and beautiful.
 
 
This blistering cold is pruning me, reminding of all I have in Him.  

Reminding me of all I am in Him.

There is hope for you and I.  

There is hope for these trees.